Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Why buy good enough when you can have the best?

I don't consider myself to be one of those people who just love to read. But I have decided to become one of those people for the sake of my son. And by choosing to read I have found that I truly appreciate reading. You gain so much from a good book. A great article. A funny story. Someones writing can truly inspire you to change what you thought was good enough to be even better.
The things that I have been reading lately have all had one common theme in them.
Why have we settled for mediocrity?
To understand this first you have to know what mediocrity is.
According to Webster: Mediocrity/mediocre: of only ordinary or moderate quality, barely adequate.
How sad is that? To think so many in society are buying into that definition. They're even selling it to our kids in so many different ways. Labeling some of them as " they're not a natural athlete" "He's just not a great reader"
How many of us have said that at one time another to one of our kids or about a friend. I know I am guilty of it. Just look how I started this blog regarding my own state of mind on reading.
We don't give up on our children when it comes to them learning how to walk or potty train. I don't know to many of us who said "well they're just not the potty training type"
So why is it that we let mediocrity take hold of us when we get older? When life gets harder.
Or does life really get harder or are we just constantly buying into mediocrity?
I believe that I was created by an amazing God. And that nothing He has done or will ever do is of moderate quality or barely adequate.
So I choose to not live a life of ordinary. I choose to not pass on a life barely adequate. I chose to pass on the power, the strength that I get from a most worthy God. I will choose to rise above what this world calls good enough. And give my children the wisdom to know that they are created by One who can and will cause them to rise above the labels of life. It wont be the easy road. It will be the road less traveled. And hopefully the one most sought after.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First Thessalonians chapter 4, verse 1 and 2 "Finally then, brethren, we request and exhort you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us instruction as to how you ought to walk and please God, just as you actually do walk, that you may excel still more. For you know what commandments we gave you by the authority of the lord Jesus."

The word "excel," means to overflow, it means to abound, to be over and above and around, to exist in full quantity, to be advanced, to be abundantly supplied. The word in a modified form can mean extraordinary, surpassing.

Thank you for challenging me today. I was indeed blessed by your insight and encouraged by the desire in your heart to excel still more...it's because you have a longing after God.

God bless you and keep you...

Claudia Markarian

Elizabeth said...

Hey claudia
What a refreshing reminder of Gods word. Thank you. It is only because of His love that I can rise above and strive to excel.
We miss you and hope you are all well.
elizabeth